Do you know that yogurt is good for dogs? No? You’ve come to the right page, sure. We’re going to talk about this delicious dairy product today. So, if you’re curious about this product, read this thread right through to the end.
It is not known to many dog owners that dogs can eat yogurt. They can be given for your pooch as a treat or even for them as a quick snack. Yogurt is a delicious food for dogs and is also a common snack for them, and that is why knowing more about this dairy product is important.
If you are curious about it and you want to know more about yogurt, then never skip a single word in this article as it will surely be helpful for you – facts, benefits, and recipe – everything is here!
What exactly is yogurt?
Yogurt is also spelled as yogourt, yoghurt, or yoghourt. It is a milk product known as one of the oldest and most famous fermented foods in the world.
The word “yogurt” is a Turkish language. It is produced by milk fermentation with bacteria. How? The milk thickens when fresh milk is left in a canister with friendly bacteria. It becomes delicious, sour-taste milk. The lactic acid from the fermentation process will also act as a preservative. The fermentation additive can help cultured milk stay fresh for a longer period of time.
How to make yogurt?
Yogurt, as mentioned above, comes from the fermentation of milk. By combining milk with bacteria and allowing it culture, then yogurt is formed. This is known as a starter culture of yogurt. If you think this process is too complicated for you, you can buy a yogurt that has already been made in the market.
You can also buy a store-bought yogurt in the market if you want, other than buying an already-made yogurt. On the other hand, when you use the powdered one you will gain an advantage by knowing what ingredients are in the final product.
What are the benefits of yogurt to dogs?
Yogurt is good for digestion because it has probiotics that are good for their digestive system. This dairy product is also high in protein and calcium.
Yogurt is a healthy snack for both humans and dogs, as I mentioned earlier. It has many advantages that can be very helpful to the health of your dog. It is one of the best producers of natural calcium sources that help control or prevent certain gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, yeast infection, diarrhea, and irritable bowel movement, according to reports. It also helps to produce niacin and folic acid, both of which during pregnancy are important nutrients.
Other than that, through eating yogurt, your dog’s immune system will be improved and boosted. It is also a good source of protein for dogs. This said protein helps build muscle.
What more should you know about the benefits of yogurt to your dog?
- It gives potassium. The body of your dog will certainly improve as potassium has a key role to play in maintaining a healthy body. It keeps your nerves healthy and regulates the level of fluid in the body system of your furry friend.
- It provides calcium. Calcium helps improve your dog’s bones. It keeps them healthy and strong.
- It provides animal protein. Animal protein has a key role in building muscle.
- Yogurt improves the immune system of your dog.
- This dairy product helps reduce the possibility of having a yeast infection.
- Give him yogurt if you’re worried that your dog has high cholesterol! It controls and lowers high cholesterol levels.
- Yogurt helps improve the balance control, gluta flora, and digestion of lactose.
How much yogurt should you give to your dogs?
Sharing your yogurt to your dog is fine as long as you don’t give them too much. Remember, moderation is key.
Give your dog about one to three tablespoons of yogurt, depending on your dog’s size. You can give it to them as a dessert or it can be given along with their meal. You can feed them or feed them several times a week.
Is yogurt good for dogs with allergies?
Some dog owners give their pet yogurt only if they have an active yeast infection or are on antibiotics. Giving him a little yogurt can help keep yeast infections away or in a manageable state if your pooch is taking antibiotics. You can also do this, but it is advisable to give yogurt as a treat it provides your dog with protein and nutrition.
What kind of yogurt should you give to your furry friend?
When feeding yogurt to your dog, make sure that it is plain and free of any additives. Natural yogurt without any sweeteners is better as it has lower levels of lactose.
If your dog is intolerant to lactose, it is better to give them a plain Greek yogurt. Why? Because it is better and safer for dogs that are lactose intolerant. Greek yogurt has more probiotic concentrations. These probiotics are good for the intestine of your pet.
Can dogs eat yogurt: Facts you need to know
There are a lot of yogurt brands in the grocery store so I bet you are sometimes confused about which one to buy. Well, here’s what I learned about yogurt and the things about this delicious treat that you should know about.
- Yogurt can help dogs with an upset stomach.
- If you are wondering which one you need to buy for your pooch, then the best way is to look for a yogurt product that has *CFU. Adding on, you should also look for yogurt with Live and Active Cultures.
Note: Not all yogurts are Live and Active so beware.
- Note that plain or natural yogurt is unlike plain Greek yogurt, all right? Yes, they’re both healthy for dogs and they provide protein and nutrients BUT, (note, there’s a but) they’re different in how the fermented milk is strained. Plain yogurt is strained twice while Greek yogurt is strained thrice.
How do you determine if the yogurt is plain or not?
Plain yogurt is runnier. Meanwhile, Greek yogurt is thicker and has a tangier taste.
Note: Some dog owners prefer plain Greek yogurt because unlike plain yogurt, this dairy product’s sugar has been strained away.
On the other hand, while some pet lovers prefer Greek yogurt, plain yogurt has more calcium than Greek yogurt and less saturated fats.
If your dog is on a diet, then buying a non-fat Greek yogurt is more advisable. Why? Because Greek yogurt is not helpful for an obese dog.
Remember, you should first consult your veterinarian before you purchase yogurt. Although yogurt is good for dogs, talking to your vet is still advisable. Take a test to find out if your dog is lactose intolerant or allergic. Before buying any new food or treat, it is important to know the health condition of your dog.
Can dogs eat yogurt: Recipes you can follow
There are many ways to give yogurt to your dog. Here are some of the recipes that you can follow to make eating yogurt a lot more exciting and colorful.
What you need: Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, foil, and tray
Steps to follow:
- Use Greek yogurt or if you want to, you can strain regular yogurt to thicken it.
- Use a bottle to create small dollops of yogurt onto a tray covered with foil.
- Once you are finished creating small dollops on the tray, freeze it. You can give it to your dog after their meal or you can use it as training snacks.
Greek yogurt biscuits
What you need: 1 cup of quick oats, 3⁄4 cup of cornmeal, 2 cubes of crushed beef, 1⁄2 cup of lukewarm water, 1 egg, 1⁄2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1⁄2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1⁄2 to 3/4 cup of water.
Steps to follow:
- Warm the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the ingredients (oats, crushed stock cubes and cornmeal) in a bowl and add 1⁄2 cup of warm water. Stir it to moisten. Then let it stand for ten minutes.
- After waiting, add the yogurt, the beaten egg, and the shredded cheddar cheese into the bowl then stir it.
- After blending it well, stir it in flour. Add water so that you can make a rollable dough.
- Roll out the dough to a lightly floured surface. Use a dog bone cookie cutter to cut it.
- Put the cut cookies on a large baking sheet and bake them for half an hour (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- After baking it, let it cool down then store it in a covered basin.
What you need: Peanut butter, flavoring, food color, ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt, 2 to 3 teaspoons of milk, and ½ tapioca flour.
Steps to follow:
- Apply the mixture of yogurt to your dog treat. If you want, you can add a little flavor and food color to the yogurt.
- Once you are finished spreading the yogurt mix, leave it dry overnight on a paper wax or in the refrigerator.
Final thoughts about giving yogurt to dogs
Yogurt is good for dogs, as I stated. It provides dogs with many health benefits, but you should always bear in mind that it should be given in moderation. Too much is bad. Prioritizing the health of your dog is important, but remember that every new food you give them should be carefully checked to keep them safe and healthy.