Dog foods are undeniably expensive. Why not prepare one of the top 10 healthy homemade dog food recipes for your dog to be mentioned later?
Before changing your pet’s diet, talk to your vet. This is to avoid health issues, especially for dogs which have past health conditions. You surely know that.
Homemade dog food recipes will be better than commercial diets if the nutritional content of the prepared meals is still in line with the proper dog’s diet.
Dog’s Diet Background
Since canines are omnivores, they can consume meat and vegetables. However, the top ingredient of dog food must be protein and fats. Other supplements required are zinc, chlorine, copper, calcium, and vitamins D and E.
Further, the right dosage depends on the age, breed, size, and pre-existing health issues of the dog. That’s why the first step is to consult a veterinarian or canine nutritionist.
Benefits Of Homemade Food Recipes For Dogs
There are three major benefits of homemade dog food recipes that might change your mind and make one. It includes:
1. Cost savings
Top brands dog foods will cost you more, especially if it’s a primary necessity of a dog. There’s a need to buy for everyday supply. Or, if you have a lot of dogs at home, it also increases the expenses for their food. Gladly, you can use the internet to look for homemade dog foods that are nearly similar to what the market offers.
2. Full diet control
You can personally control the amount of every single ingredient to add on the dog’s diet. As its owner, you already know the pet’s allergies or sensitivities, so you know what food ingredients are safe for them.
3. Time investment
Preparing the recipe takes only a few hours, depending on the included ingredients. One cooked dog food recipe can last for several days when properly kept. Store the home-made dog food in large zip lock bags or other containers and put it in the freezer will maintain the dog’s health benefits.
Top 10 Healthy Dog’s Food Homemade Recipes
We do not include the measurements of the ingredients. It is up to you and the condition of your dog. Let’s get started!
1. Homemade Beef Stew
You can prepare this meal within 35 minutes. Its ingredients are ground meat (beef, turkey, or chicken), diced sweet potato and carrot, frozen peas, and water. For breakfast and lunch, the meal can be packed into smaller batches through plastic bags. Put the remaining meals for the next feeding in the refrigerator. Simply warm it up for 30 seconds.
- Sauté the meat without removing its fat. Add some coconut oil when using turkey or chicken meat. It is because fat is good for dogs.
- Add the potatoes and carrots.
- Add water just to cover the veggies and simmer for 20-minutes.
- Put the frozen peas and stir some salt.
2. Homemade Turkey and Rice Dog Food
Within just 30-minutes, this meal is fully prepared, 5-minutes quicker than the prior. It contains only 4 main ingredients, including brown rice, ground turkey meat, broccoli, and a small amount of dried rosemary. Cut the broccoli into smaller bits because some dogs don’t easily chew large cuts. Most large dogs can consume two cups in each meal.
Allow the dinner to cool down before the dogs are served.
- Prepare an oven to be used for cooking.
- Place the main ingredients together with water (the amount depends on your measurements).
- Stir until the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-minutes.
- Add the veggies then cook for 5-minutes.
3. Meat Muttfins
This recipe can be done up to 45-minutes with the use of an oven. You’ll need muffin cups to get this recipe ready to be served. Prepare ingredients such as ground beef, rice, eggs, grated potatoes and carrots, chopped celery, olive oil, and water. There’s an added fat through the olive oil which is in favor of the pets. Let the recipe cooldown before serving.
- Preheat up to 400̊ F and put some grease on the muffin cups.
- Cook the rice in a pan and let it cool.
- Mix the veggies with the beef and eggs then stir well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix
- Put the mixture into muffin cups and cook in the oven.
4. Beef and Liver Dog Food
It is another meat recipe for dogs that are cooked within 20-minutes. This is a lot quicker than the previous homemade dog foods. Its top ingredients are ground beef and finely chopped liver with chopped vegetables. Within the mixture are cups of rice, beaten eggs, chopped parsley, milk, olive oil, rolled oats, and of course water. Place the cooked recipe in an airtight container and fridge for the other batches of the next feeding.
- Boil the water, rice, and oats in a pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients at low heat.
- Cook until it absorbs the water about 20-minutes.
- Put the mixture in a container and let it cool down.
5. DIY Slow Cooker Dog Food
In addition to its homemade feature is a do-it-yourself feature. You can prepare a week’s worth nutritious meal for your dog in just 15-minutes or less. One dog is equivalent to one cup of meal a day. This recipe is cost-effective too. Therefore, no more worries about preparation for the next meals of your pet. It is rich in fiber with the sweet potatoes and green beans ingredients. Even with a few amounts of calories, the pet can still eat a healthy diet. The added chicken provides the needed protein for the dog. You can add some extra veggies that are within the dog’s diet list.
- Throw off all the ingredients in an orderly manner in a pan. Do not mix it.
- Cook on low heat in less than 15-minutes.
- Finally, stir the mixture and break the chicken in smaller pieces.
- Let it cool before serving.
6. Doggy Meatballs
Preparing a dog meal by hand is possible with these doggy meatballs. It is one of the easiest dog food to prepare and yet a delicious one. It looks like a human meatball, so put a label on its container not to be consumed by one of the family members. Only a few ingredients are needed, such as ground beef, parsley flakes, omega oil, honey, and seeded grated apples. You can serve the meal for your dog. This meal can serve as a treat for dogs. They will still get full just like consuming a heavy meal.
- Combine all the ingredients by using your hand in a container.
- Get a small amount of mixture then roll into balls.
- Cook it on either skillet or in an oven.
7. Turkey and Veggie Dog Food
A combination of meat and veggie is an excellent food for dogs. This contains the needed nutrients a dog needs such as protein-rich liver, turkey, and highly nutritious vegetables like carrots, green beans, and cauliflower. Adding an olive oil helps to keep the dog’s coat shinier than ever. Prepare zip lock bags to store the cooked meal for one-week feeding. Write a preparation date level on it before placing it in a fridge. This is to keep your notice until when the recipes will be good for consumption.
- Steam the veggies until it gets tender for about 10-minutes.
- Cook the turkey and liver in a separate skillet and drain the fat.
- Chop the veggies then mix into the cooked meat.
- Put olive oil in the mixture and cool it down.
8. Chicken Cake
It sounds like a sweet course but a heavy meal for dogs. However, the way it is served is like a cake that needs to be sliced into bits. The cooking process will last up to 35-minutes until serving. Minced chicken is its main recipe together with an egg, rice, apple, and other veggies. This is a portion of exciting homemade dog food and here’s how to make one:
- Prepare an oven with 340̊ F temperature and put grease on the cake pan.
- Cook the rice.
- Put the corn, peas, and carrots into a stove until it tenders.
- Mash the cooked veggies then add the egg.
- Combine the mixture to the cooked rice.
- Bring together the chicken and mashed apple; layer it at the bottom of the pan.
- The next layer would be 2/3 of the vegetable mixture then top it with the leftover chicken.
- The last layer will be a leftover vegetable mix. Then put in the oven.
9. Salmon Scramble
Lesser ingredients don’t mean fewer nutrients provided for your dog. This is the easiest dog food to prepare among the list with only 4 ingredients. It includes boneless salmon, eggs, chopped spinach, and olive oil. With those components, the needed nutrient of your dog is completed. Also, it only requires less than 5-minutes of preparation. That’s too fast for a starving dog.
- Let the olive oil be heated on a skillet.
- Put the salmon and spinach until it is cooked.
- Add the eggs and stir while cooking.
- Mix the ingredients then serve after it cools down.
10. Chicken and Rice
It’s not similar to what we eat in the fast-food chains like fried chicken thigh and rice. This one contains ground chicken meat together with the other vegetable ingredients. That includes diced carrots, canned butternut squash, and ground flaxseed. You can add a low sodium chicken broth on the recipe for the betterment of its taste. This would be the tastiest chicken and rice combo for dogs.
- Boil, the chicken, then set aside its fat.
- Blend the eggs with shells then mix into the chicken.
- Cook thoroughly the mixture of egg and chicken.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the blender until they’re all pounded.
- Get a large bowl then mix the rice with the leftover chicken and carrot mixture.
- Mix all the mixtures then spoon out round portions and put into a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Dogs are part of the family and deserve to eat not just the leftovers. If your worry is the pricey dog foods, well, today you can make homemade dog food recipes with only minimal cost. Then again, consult your vet before preparing a personalized yet nutritious meal for your dog.
Dog owners prepare the top 10 healthy homemade dog food recipes above. They know what mixtures are good for dogs so you can put your trust in each recipe. There might be changes in the ingredient measurements as according to the growth of your pet.
There’s no other way to tame a starving dog than to give him/her ever delicious well-made dog food. Can you share some of your recipes too?
Related tip: What Fruits Your Dogs Can Eat and Can’t Eat