Naming your dog is probably one of the most exciting parts of being a pet owner, but it can also be a bit frustrating sometimes because we all want a name that is unique and entertaining. Let us face it, dog owners are somewhat a little competitive when it comes to giving names to their dogs. Some of us are a bit territorial when it comes to names, we do not want to share our precious dog names with other dog owners. Selfish? Of course not!
Some dog owners like naming their dogs based on where they came from or what breed they are while others like randomly naming them for a very good reason — they want their dogs to stand out anywhere they go and whoever they are with.
In the Philippines, what people usually call their pooches is.. “Bantay”, which means guard or guard dog. Meanwhile, some people like naming their dogs after their favorite things like:
1. Movie characters
- Peter Parker
- Steve (Rogers)
- Tony (Stark)
- Cali (for California)
- Nola (New Orleans)
- Pen (for Penshoppe)
- V (for Korean boy band BTS)
- Bark (derived from Barack Obama)
- Brad Sit (for Brad Pitt)
- Anderson Pooper (Anderson Cooper)
- Bark Walhberg
- Monroe (Manilyn Monroe)
- Audrey or Hepburn (Audrey Hepburn)
- Tom (Tom Cruise)
- Bey (Beyonce)
- Minho (Korean)
- Chicky (Chicken)
- Choco (Chocolate)
- Icy (Ice Cream)
- Hetty (Spaghetti)
See? Dog owners love playing with words and love associating themselves to the things they like the most because it makes them feel entertained, unique and happy.
What are the most common names dog owners give to their dogs?
Although most dog owners enjoy hearing distinctive names, there are still a few who just want to chill out and save themselves from too much trouble — they’re just going to go for the most popular names that hey hera from other people.
According to Cosmopolitan, SEM Rush used Google searches data to make a list of the most popular dog names in the US this 2019. The list below is some of the most popular pooch names this year. Do you think yours is listed down there? Why not find it out and read every name?
Top dog names for male and female pooches
…and many more.
I bet you’re still searching for other dog names you could offer your furry buddy if you’re still reading this. Well, don’t be worried, I’m going to give your pooch what may be the most popular trend nowadays, for instance, French-inspired name.
To answer this question, people love hearing French. Why does this happen? It is because it sounds gorgeous. Owners of animals choose French names because it sounds unique and elegant. Where should it be found? From the shoe brand to restaurants, to name of babies to pet names. In fact, everywhere.
Best French names for your male pooch
All Things Dogs list down the finest French-inspired names for male dogs:
- Casanova means being able to attract all the lady dogs he encounters.
- Noir means black, a perfect for dogs who have black fur or black spots.
- Laurent comes from Yves Saint Laurent, a popular high-end brand in the fashion industry. This is perfect for those who like styling their dogs or those who love competing in dog fashion shows.
- Louis is a classic name for males in France. This is suitable for small dogs.
- Enzo means conquering which is perfect for those dogs that are dominant and loyal.
- Leon simply describes those dogs that show courage and bravery.
- Aubin means white, a suitable name for those pooches who are as white as the snow.
- Pierre describes dog breeds that are gentle, handsome and well-behaved.
These are the other French names for male dogs that you could consider.
1. Baldoin which means brave pal.
2. Pascal which means playful.
3. Franco which simply means French.
4. Heureux which means cheerful.
5. Chanceux which means fortuitous.
Most popular French names for your female dog
Exotic and beautiful names of dog are popular among female dogs pet owners. If you have trouble thinking of some nice French names for your pouch, it could be useful to look at the list of K9 of Mine.
- Fille which simply means a girl.
- Fleur means flower.
- Papillon which means butterfly.
- Felicite means cheerful or successful
- Amie simply means friend, perfect for those people who treat their dogs as their best buddy.
- Ame means favorite. If your dog is your favorite pet, then why not use this? It is a perfect description of her.
- Bijou means jewel.
- Libellule may sound so hard to pronounce, but in English, it means dragonfly.
Other female French names for dogs
- Adele – you know Adele, the singer? Well, if your dog likes to bark, perhaps you should call her this because Adele is known to have a powerful voice. Adele also implies noble in French.
- Chanel – if you love fashion, it would be ideal to name your female dog according to a renowned fashion designer. Chanel originated from a French lady name called Coco Chanel.
- Renee means reborn in French, a perfect name for your furry buddy that still looks like puppies even after celebrating many birthdays.
- Celine implies moon in French, appropriate for dogs with dark fur or night-friends.
- Esme means loved in French.
Tips on how to come up with a name for your dog
If you have a guide, picking up a name is easier. You should, therefore, consider these things before choosing which of these above names is “the one” for you:
- Pick a name that your dog can easily recognize – The key is to pick a shorter pup name. Dogs can readily acknowledge their names, particularly puppies if you give them a shorter name. It is very rare to give them a second name and, just like individuals, if they use their name to call them they’ll react to you. So keep shorter names, because you will eventually shorten them, even if you name them Barker Parker.
- Do not choose a name that is similar to or sounds like a command. I know it is tempting and funny, but you will end up confusing your pooch.
- Do not pick a name that is too common. One reason that pet owners like to name their dog is to prevent confusion and trouble. If you name your dog a very common name, he might eventually go to another dog owner or other dogs may finally be there for you.
Why people name their dog?
Naming your dog is a typical move in your pet’s connection, but we could also say it is an aspect of the pet industry’s trend or cultural change. You can see that most of our names come from popular things around us –from famous people to clothing and shoe brands.
How giving names helps dog and owner relationship?
As I said, pet names can also be useful if you want to be near to your pet. Dogs have the feeling that they belong to a family, they need names. It could be a great gift to them to give them a simple but meaningful name.
Furthermore, you have a healthy pet-owner connection with your dog by naming it. Your pet may feel like you care for him and are accessible to you and your life.
Where to find the best names for your dog?
It’s effortless to find one today. To create a name for you, you can use name generators. However, Google could assist you if you think that you have to choose a name on your own.
Websites that are used for animals such as dogs could assist you, on the other hand. These blogs sometimes publish stories on the particular topic, look at K9 of Mine and American Kennel Club (AKC).
When you plan to adopt a pooch, giving your dog a name should always be one of your primary priorities. This is one of the most important measures a pet owner never forgets.
As a dog owner, always remember that names are essential to dogs, just like human beings. It can be a useful move to maintain a healthy connection between dog owners.
Furthermore, it is important to remember that names are used to help identify anyone or any pet. However, it is prevalent or trendy, the most significant thing is that it can help you feel safer and belong.