Most dog lovers are now fascinated by designer dog breeds ‘ uniqueness And, why not? In their own words, these dogs are exceptional. They are created to’ fit’ dog lovers ‘ lifestyle or needs. There are just too many of them to choose from, ranging from miniature to large designer dog breeds, from layback to active dogs. And one of them is the dog breed designer Golden Retriever Corgi Mix.
The Golden Retriever is one of the world’s most popular dogs. It’s a big dog for everyone with an equally big heart. It’s mild in disposition, it gets along well with everybody (humans and other animals), and it is kind and loyal.
The Welsh Corgi, on the other hand, is either a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. These two breeds of dogs are both sweet, healthy, and attentive. Despite having those good dispositions, if left untrained at an early age, Corgis is known to be stubborn.
Now, by mixing the two awesome dog breeds, the result is a Golden Retriever Corgi Mix. Let’s check out how this breed of designer dogs is a cut among the rest.
Interesting Features Of the Golden Retriever Corgi Mix:
- They are known also as Golden Corgi or also a Corgi Retriever.
- Their appearance may be unpredictable but one thing is sure, this designer dog breed will be shorter than a Golden Retriever, but taller than a Corgi.
- If they have good care, the lifespan can be about 10 to 13 years.
- The coat’s most common colors are: gold, brown, and white. It depends on the stronger gene.
- They are seasonal shedders so brushing on a weekly basis is recommended.
- Since they have joint issues, moderate exercise is what they need.
- They have an amiable disposition.
The Appearance of a Golden Retriever Corgi Mix:
|Height||18 to 20 inches|
|Weight||40 to 50 pounds|
|Coat Color||Combination of gold, brown, red, and black|
|Coat Texture||short to medium length, straight or wavy, and thick|
|Shedding||Moderate and seasonal shedding|
Since this dog breed is a mixture of two purebred dogs, its appearance is really very difficult to predict. Some puppies might look more like a Corgi while others might inherit a Golden Retriever’s looks. And it may be a combination of the two purebred dogs as well. Unpredictability is the reality of a breed of designer dogs. Permit me to share with you briefly the parents ‘ physical attributes.
The Corgis can stand up to, 10 to 12 inches when fully grown and can weigh up to, 25 to 38 pounds. The Corgis have shorter legs and elongated bodies. The Golden Retrievers, on the other hand, can grow up to 22 inches and weigh between 55 and 70 pounds.
Both parents are double-coated, but it is not possible to predict accurately the coat color and texture. It may be that the puppies will inherit their parents ‘ waviness or straight coat
Golden Retriever Corgi Mix Puppies:
If this designer dog breed has captured your heart, there are four ways on how you can own one:
- You can buy it from a pet store
- You can look for backyard or small-time breeders
- You can look for professional breeders
- You can adopt from a dog rescue shelter
It’s still better to get a puppy from professional dog breeders among the four described. They provide the right nutrition, vaccination, deworming, and clean living spaces for the dogs and their pups.
Getting a puppy from a pet store might be the easiest option but you have to know if the puppies come from puppy mills that keep the dogs and puppies in unfavorable conditions.
Getting a pup or a full-grown dog from a shelter is also a good option.
Do not take it home before the age of 8 weeks after you’ve decided where to get the dog. In this way, you can be confident that the pup is already socialized and understands the play biting concept that is a form of healthy play. Puppies need to learn how to control the force or the strength of its bite so as not to hurt their litter mates. On their own and among their litter mates, they learn this behavior.
When bringing your puppy, there are things that it requires and these are the following:
- AmazonBasics 4-Panel Plastic Pet Pen so it can have a secure place to stay and play while you are not around.
- Good quality dog food like Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food
- AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads
- Dog Toy Pet Stages Cool Teething Stick
How much is a Golden Retriever Corgi puppy?
The price range could be anywhere from $1000.00 to $2000.00. The factors affecting the puppy’s price are; the dog breeder’s reputation and location, coat color, quality of coat and puppy size.
What to Expect from a Golden Retriever Corgi?
Now that you are a proud owner of a Golden Retriever pup, here is what you can expect from this dog as it slowly reaches its adulthood.
Each of its parents is a smart dog breed and training them is not a problem. It is acceptable to say the same about their offspring. Therefore, teaching your puppy will be fairly easy for you. Do not get disheartened in the event of some fluctuations during the training sessions as this is common among all dog breeds. Do not scold your puppy because a Golden Retriever Corgi puppy can be sensitive.
The important thing to do is to cut the training session short each day so the pup will not lose interest. Plus, always be ready with puppy training treats like Zuke’s Natural Training Dog Treats.
Like all designer dog breeds, the behavior of a Golden Retriever Corgi Mix cannot be predicted. It is safe to say though that there is a high chance that your puppy will be loving and affectionate just like its parents.
Tracing back, a Corgi has a fun and loving disposition, making is a favorite dog breed of Queen Elizabeth. But, a Corgi is a herding dog and can sometimes get bossy. On the other hand, one of the sweetest dog breeds is a Golden Retriever, and it’s a perfect family pet.
Considering the personalities of its two parents, therefore, you can more or less expect your pup to grow up a loving and playful dog.
3) Grooming Concerns:
Grooming is part of caring for this designer dog breed. Use a slicker brush two to three times a day is recommended. Yet brushing needs to be increased to regular brushing during the shedding season. Use a slicker brush of good quality such as Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush.
Of course, their nails have to be trimmed so these won’t crack. Not to forget their ears which have to be kept clean to avoid ear bacterial infections.
4) How Much Exercise is Needed?
This is an aggressive breed of dog. Yeah, you’re better off looking for a lazier dog breed if you’re unable to exercise. The workout time must range from 30 minutes to an hour. There are things it will enjoy: swimming, hiking, fetch games, and race walking. Give it a toy like Ideas in Life Tennis Ball Launcher Dog Toy so that your pet can have time with you to exercise.
And, since it is a smart dog, do not forget that it also needs mental stimulation so it won’t get bored. Mental games like Nina Ottosson Dog Twister Advanced Dog Puzzle Toy will satisfy this dog.
5) Health Problems:
The good news is that there is a little chance that this designer dog breed will suffer from fatal medical problems. But it doesn’t mean it’s immune to some types of health problems. It is not. In fact, one of the acquired issues that it could suffer from is heatstroke. Because it is double-coated, overheating is possible. Therefore, try not to expose it to the scorching heat.
Then there is also the issue of hip dysplasia. This is an inherited health problem that causes the thighbone from detaching from the hip joint.
Cataracts can also affect this designer dog breed. In rare cases, it is also seen in puppies.
Von Willebrand disease is a clotting health problem which prolongs the dog’s heat cycle. It also causes the gums and nose to bleed.
6) How Much Food to Give?
The quantity of food to be given depends on the age and activity level. Although she is still a puppy, feed her with a high-quality dog food twice a day. It ensures that ingredients such as protein, carbs fiber and vitamins and minerals are balanced.
To find out if your pet is overweight, stand by your dog and then look at his stomach. Place your hand on your dog’s back with your thumbs along the spine and your fingers facing downwards. If you cannot feel its ribs, then your dog is overweight.
To prevent bone disorder during its growth which is from four months until seen months, feed it with low-calorie puppy food like Orijen Puppy dry Food.
Is The Golden Retriever Corgi Mix the Perfect Canine Buddy for You? (Summary)
There’s no doubt it’s lovable and fun to have this dog breed. But for this designer dog breed, not everyone’s lifestyle is appropriate. Check at the description of which dog lover will take care of this canine buddy. Check the list below to find out if you are the right person:
- Do you suffer from allergies? If yes, then you are not fitted to care for this dog. It sheds moderately but can get heavy during certain times of the year.
- Do you have the patience to groom it? If so, go ahead and consider this canine as your companion. His coat must be brushed at least three times a week, but in the shedding seasons, it would be more.
- Do you have the time and stamina for exercise? If yes, then this is the right dog for you. This dog descended from two working dogs so that means that it demands physical activities for an hour a day.
- Do you have a fenced backyard? If none, then, this is not the right designer dog breed for you. It needs to move around all the time and thus, it requires space bigger than an apartment.
- Are you always out of the house? If yes, it might not be good for you. This is because this is an affectionate dog that loves to be with people.
- Do you have small kids in the house? Then it could be a question. Sure, this dog is caring, but as one of her parents is a Corgi, it may get annoyed with children running around the house. Corgis aren’t really fond of children under the age of 8.
So, there you go, now that you have met the new dog in town, are you willing to own one and make it a part of your life?